aka 1799 House
aka LeFevre House
Built by Ezekiel Elting in 1799
Original Gambrel Roof Destroyed
In Blizzard Of 1888. Structure
Served As Both Residence
In the early 1700's
Roelif Elting arrived in New Paltz and in 1703
married the daughter of Abraham DuBois, Sarah.
In 1760 Roelif purchased the Bevier House from
Louis Bevier's son Samuel. The house was passed
on to Roelif's son Josiah upon his death. Josiah
passed it to his son Roelif who married the
daughter of Rebecca Freer and Johannes Low and
lived in the house during the American Revolution.
Their son Ezekiel in 1799 built the house further
to the south on Huguenot Street now known as
the LeFever House.
So what's a brick
Georgian doing in New Paltz?
More than a century
has passed since the founding of New Paltz,
life has marched on and tastes have changed.
Not to mention the resources of the people of
the Village. Another new century was about to
But there's a
little secret in this house. Only the front wall
is brick, the other three are still field stone.
In building his house Ezekiel wanted to present
a prosperous front to customers arriving to his
store and visitors arriving at his door. So the
front of the house is constructed of brick and
carefully follows the Georgian style of the day,
in America known as Federal. As people approached
the house from the south along Huguenot Street
their first view would have been the south wall
tried to face the south wall with brick but
only had a limited amount and knew he would
run out half way through the wall. His solution
was to face the upper section of the wall with
brick and the lower half of the wall was parged
with cement and brick outlines were cut then
the whole thing was painted to look like brick.
And it worked. People arriving from the ferry
would have seen the upper part of the wall with
the gable and then approached the front of the
the north wall he parged the stone with cement
and cut in lines making it look like cut limestone.
Most of this facing has fallen away but there
are still sections intact.
Ezekiel built his
house as both residence and store. The north
rooms on the main floor were given over to his
business, the family occupied the south and
upstairs rooms. The home is constructed with
a center hall and four rooms on each floor symmetrically
The roof was originally
a Dutch Gambrel, but was destroyed in the blizzard
of 1888. In the reconstruction they noticed
the value of the steep pitched roofs of the
older houses on the street, all had survived
the blizzard. So they put a new steeply pitched
roof on the house. In construction they simply
built over the original lines of the roof enclosing
the remaining structural pieces which are still
visible in the attic. From the outside if you
look up at the peek of the roof on the sides
of the house you can see where they "filled
in" and get a feeling for the original silhouette.
opened the two north rooms combining them into
a single large parlor, how it is configured
In 1967 the LeFevre
Family Association was formed. Their ancestral
home had been destroyed when the children of
Samuel LeFevre sold the property to the Dutch
Reformed Church which was erected in 1839. Since
several of the daughters of Ezekiel Elting had
married LeFevres they determined to purchase
and restore the Elting House and fill it with
LeFevre family heirlooms, mostly from the Federal
and Empire periods. So though the historic marker
reads "Elting House", it is more commonly known
as the LeFevre House.